Green Black Friday
This Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year. Malls will be crowded and parking lots will be packed. Whether it is a family tradition, or you are the lone soul at your home getting up before dawn, don’t forget these tips as you head out the door.
- Have a game plan. Planning your route before you go will elimate excess driving from one stop to another, or back-tracking all over the city.
- Just park already! Big bags and cold weather might tempt you to drive around looking for the best spot. Save gas, and reduce pollution by parking at the first spot you find.
- Support certain stores. When possible, choose to shop at stores that offer fair-trade or recycled gifts. Also keep in mind your local vendors and those who may have mission statements promising their commitment to the environment.
- Bring your own bags. Grocery stores aren’t the only ones using plastic. Bring your biggest reusable bags for filling with gifts. You’ll come home feeling like Santa Claus himself.
- Take your own healthy snacks. Shopping works up an appetite. Don’t fall pressure to the greasy food court options.
- Not a fan of crowds, coupons and other craziness? Do your shopping online. Save on shipping and packaging by having the gifts sent directly to the recipient.
So set your alarms and grab your canvas totes. Black Friday is almost here, but this year, add a little green to yours.